Kent cricket chief Jamie Clifford expects more overseas players to join county throughout 2017
PUBLISHED: 15:31 11 April 2017 | UPDATED: 15:31 11 April 2017
South African bowler Kagiso Rabada and New Zealand batsman Tom Latham impressed in short spells last season
Kent cricket fans can expect to see more overseas players added to the club’s ranks as the year progresses, according to CEO Jamie Clifford.
Players at Canterbury were full of praise for the contributions of the likes of South African bowler Kagiso Rabada and New Zealand batsman Tom Latham who impressed in short spells last season.
This week, the club announced the signing of paceman Wayne Parnell and Mr Clifford told Kent News there are likely to be similar additions to the squad over the course of the campaign.
“One thing for us is we want the bar to be high in terms of players wanting to come and play for Kent,” he said.
“We want it to mean something when they pull on the Kent jersey and it not just to be easy.
“We want players fighting for places, which they’re going to have to do.
“I think you can expect throughout the course of the season players added to the playing staff, as you saw last year when Rabada came in mid-season, Latham was there for the first half and then we had Hardus Viljoen at the end of the season.
“We had a rolling overseas player situation and I can see that being repeated and the playing ranks bolstered throughout the year.”
Kent claimed an emphatic three-day victory in their opening county championship clash with Gloucestershire last weekend and are currently gearing up for their next test against Sussex on Friday.