Search

Southern Railway drivers accept deal to end 18 months of strike action

PUBLISHED: 16:22 08 November 2017 | UPDATED: 09:13 09 November 2017

Southern

Southern

Archant

It follows a dispute about the possible introduction of driver-only trains

Southern Railway drivers have voted by 4-1 to accept a deal to end their long-running dispute over driver-operated trains.

Members of Aslef backed the deal, which includes a 28.5 per cent pay rise over the next five years, by 731 votes to 193, a majority of 79 per cent.

Turnout in the ballot was 87 per cent

Mick Whelan, general secretary of Aslef, said: “Our members on Southern, after careful consideration, and long and hard negotiations, have voted to accept this resolution to our industrial dispute with the company.

“We are pleased with a resolution which, we believe, works for the staff, and the company, and we now look forward to working with Southern Rail to restore good industrial relations and deliver the service passengers in the region deserve.”

The dispute started in April last year over concerns conductors could be removed from trains, leading to a series of strikes by drivers which crippled services, causing huge disruption for Southern’s 300,000 passengers.

Services around Beckenham and Kent have suffered strike action in the past year with, causing disruption to Ashford and Tonbridge trains.

In July 2016, weekday passengers using Birkbeck station found there were no trains running through the station as part of the strikes.

Mr Whelan said the agreement means there will be a second, safety-trained person on every train except in “exceptional circumstances”, such as a member of staff calling in sick just before a shift or being taken ill during work.

He said: “That person will have all the relevant safety competence, including the skills to evacuate passengers in an emergency.

“The agreement gives our drivers the security of a five-year pay deal, which covers the October 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 pay settlements, through to the end of the franchise.

“It’s important to stress that this deal is company-specific and does not have implications for any other train operating company on Britain’s railway network.

“After one-and-a-half years of industrial strife we wanted to find a way forward for our members who work on the railway in this region, for the passengers who use Southern trains, and for the businesses which depend on the service, as well as for the company, too.

“This deal is a resolution to an 18-month long dispute. It is not a template for Britain’s railway in the 21st century.”

Nick Brown, chief operating officer of Govia Thameslink Railway, Southern’s owners, said: “This dispute has been difficult for our passengers in particular and we are pleased that we can now move ahead and deliver stability by finally concluding this deal with Aslef.

“Our trains will be planned to have a second person on board and this has been the arrangement we have operated over the last year. More on-train staff are on more trains with more passengers than ever before. The on-board service concept has been welcomed by our passengers across the board.

“Should, in certain circumstances, a train not have that second person on board then it will still be able to run until a replacement can be provided. Avoiding cancellations is key to us delivering a resilient and reliable service across the busiest and most congested part of the UK rail network.”

Other popular content

Wed, 14:31

Stanford Parish Council chair Matthew Webb has led the fight against the proposals since they were first announced in 2015

Wed, 11:14

KCC faces a drastic shortage in Year 7 places in the town over the next few years

Friday, November 10, 2017

Water levels have lowered significantly in recent days

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Temporary cuts to services have been in place since June and are not likely to return until the new year

Digital edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
Kent Life Food & Drink awards 2016. Open for entries.

Most read

Local business directory

Kent's trusted business finder