Search

Smoke alarm allows family to escape Rochester home engulfed by chip pan fire

PUBLISHED: 08:21 08 November 2017 | UPDATED: 08:21 08 November 2017

Fire

Fire

Karnstocks

Crews were called to Cross Street on Tuesday evening

A family of five, including a baby, made a lucky escape in Rochester on Tuesday after their smoke alarm alerted them to a chip pan fire.

The four adults and young child were upstairs in the Cross Street property when the smoke detectors sounded, and the father had removed the burning pan to the garden prior to the arrival of fire crews, using a damp cloth to beat the flames and extinguish fire travelling up the kitchen wall.

No one was injured as a result of the blaze, however crews are reminding residents of ways to remain safe.

A spokesperson said: “Please do not try to tackle the fire yourself or remove items that are on fire, leave it to firefighters, who have the training and equipment to tackle fires safely.

“Leaving any cooking unattended for any length of time can have disastrous results, especially if you’re cooking with hot oil.

“It can overheat and ignite very quickly, even the smallest distraction could lead to a fire in a matter of moments. Always stand by your pan and keep looking while you’re cooking.”

Other popular content

Wed, 14:31

Stanford Parish Council chair Matthew Webb has led the fight against the proposals since they were first announced in 2015

Wed, 11:14

KCC faces a drastic shortage in Year 7 places in the town over the next few years

Friday, November 10, 2017

Water levels have lowered significantly in recent days

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Temporary cuts to services have been in place since June and are not likely to return until the new year

Digital edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
Kent Life Food & Drink awards 2016. Open for entries.

Most read

Local business directory

Kent's trusted business finder