Search

Safety advice issued to e-cigarette users after charger catches fire in Hythe bedroom

PUBLISHED: 12:11 11 May 2017 | UPDATED: 12:11 11 May 2017

E-cigarette

E-cigarette

Armin Staudt

Two fire engines were despatched to a two-storey house in Bartholomew Street

Crews are issuing safety advice to e-cigarette users after an unattended charged caught fire in a Hythe bedroom on Wednesday.

Two fire engines were despatched to a two-storey house in Bartholomew Street shortly after 6.30pm and arrived on the scene within minutes.

A breathing apparatus team used a hose reel to extinguish the fire in a first floor bedroom.

Smoke and fumes were cleared from the property with a positive pressure ventilation fan while firefighters continued cutting away and damping down.

Crews ask e-cigarette users to follow these safety tips when charging:

Only use the charger supplied with your e-cigarette;

If no charger is supplied check with the manufacturer for a list of approved chargers;

Read the instructions on how to clean the battery centre pin and charger contact;

Stop charging once it has been fully charged;

Don’t leave it charging overnight, unattended or charging on flammable surfaces such as a bed or sofa;

Don’t over-tighten the battery – especially when charging;

Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly, they can and do save lives.

Other popular content

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Stanford Parish Council chair Matthew Webb has led the fight against the proposals since they were first announced in 2015

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

KCC faces a drastic shortage in Year 7 places in the town over the next few years

Friday, November 10, 2017

Water levels have lowered significantly in recent days

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Temporary cuts to services have been in place since June and are not likely to return until the new year

Digital edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
Kent Life Food & Drink awards 2016. Open for entries.

Most read

Local business directory

Kent's trusted business finder