Search

Nigel Farage again admits he would ‘probably’ stand in South Thanet if by-election called

PUBLISHED: 09:04 13 March 2017 | UPDATED: 09:04 13 March 2017

Nigel Farage. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire

Nigel Farage. Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire

Kent Police and the Electoral Commission are investigating whether the Conservatives broke the law by failing to properly declare expenses related to the 2015 campaign

Nigel Farage has said he would “probably” stand again in the Kent constituency he fought at the 2015 general election if a fraud investigation leads to a by-election.

Kent Police and the Electoral Commission are investigating whether the Conservatives broke the law by failing to properly declare expenses related to the 2015 campaign.

According to the Mail On Sunday, Mr Farage’s election strategist Chris Bruni-Lowe has passed a dossier to police containing details of computer logs accessed by Ukip’s only MP Douglas Carswell, who defected to the party from the Conservatives.

It claims that Mr Carswell passed details about local voters to the Tories to help them defeat Mr Farage - an allegation he strongly denies.

Mr Farage, who has a long-running feud with the Clacton MP, and until recently lived in Westerham, said there was “evidence” that Mr Carswell downloaded information but there was nothing to prove what he did with it.

The former party leader told BBC One’s Sunday Politics: “I don’t know anything about the dossier.

“I am actually quite dubious as to whether this dossier exists at all. I think perhaps the newspapers have got this wrong.

“Were there concerns about the downloading of data that took place from that constituency? Yes. But beyond that we don’t know anything.

“We have evidence that Mr Carswell downloaded information. We have no evidence of what he did with it.”

The South Thanet seat was won by Tory Craig Mackinlay.

Asked if he would stand in a by-election prompted by the investigation, Mr Farage replied: “I probably would.”

Mr Carswell said: “I am not commenting but I very strongly deny it.”

The Conservatives, and Mr Mackinlay, have long denied any wrongdoing, claiming all spending was correctly recorded in accordance with the law.

Mr Farage has previously said when asked about the seat that he’d “have to” stand but was more coy when quizzed again just before Christmas.

The former Ukip leader has failed to become an MP on seven occasions.

Other popular content

Yesterday, 16:39

A planning application was meant to be submitted by the end of this year but has now been delayed until the spring

Yesterday, 13:22

Gravesham and Thanet haven’t settled any under the scheme so far, but have committed to do so by 2020

Yesterday, 11:54

The Margate park’s showpiece ride was temporarily out of action due to maintenance work

Yesterday, 08:51

Terrence Matthews pleaded guilty to his charges

Digital edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter
Kent Life Food & Drink awards 2016. Open for entries.

Most read

Local business directory

Kent's trusted business finder