‘Much loved and adored’ Julian Cadman, 7, killed in Barcelona terror attack
PUBLISHED: 08:14 21 August 2017 | UPDATED: 08:14 21 August 2017
13 people died and 120 were injured in last week’s attack
The family of a seven-year-old boy killed in the Barcelona terror attack have said they were blessed to have had him in their lives.
Julian Cadman, a dual British-Australian national who went to Chiddingstone Nursery near Edenbridge, became separated from his mother in the massacre on Las Ramblas that left 13 dead and at least 120 injured.
In the aftermath of the attack, Julian’s relatives urged people to share a photograph of him on Facebook as fears for his safety grew.
Confirming his death on Sunday, his family said: “Julian was a much-loved and adored member of our family.
“As he was enjoying the sights of Barcelona with his mother, Julian was sadly taken from us.
“He was so energetic, funny and cheeky, always bringing a smile to our faces.
“We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts.
“We would like to thank all those who helped us in searching for Julian.
“Your kindness was incredible during a difficult time.
“We also acknowledge we are not the only family to be affected by the events, our prayers and thoughts are with all people affected.”
Julian’s father and grandmother travelled to Spain from Australia following the atrocity, and his grandfather Tony Cadman was among those urging people to share a photograph on Facebook.
In the photograph, Julian is wearing a jumper with a crest that says Chiddingstone Nursery.
On Saturday, the Philippines’ government said a seven-year-old child missing was the son of a 43-year-old Filipino woman who had been living in Australia.
An official said the woman was with her son in Barcelona to attend a cousin’s wedding, and said the woman, who was seriously injured, became separated from her child in the attack, and that her British husband was heading to Barcelona to try to find his son.
The confirmation of Julian’s death came as police continued their hunt for a fugitive suspect from the 12-member cell that staged the vehicle attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils, which lies around 70 miles to the south west.
The group were plotting much deadlier carnage using explosives favoured by Islamic State militants, according to the Associated Press.
Police have been unable to identify with absolute certainty who exactly is at large, but know three people remain unaccounted for - a suspected fugitive and two who are believed to have been killed when the house where the plot was being hatched exploded in Alcanar on Wednesday.
AP said police declined to confirm that Younes Abouyaaquoub, a 22-year-old Moroccan, was the suspected fugitive who allegedly drove the van down Las Ramblas promenade on Thursday.
Another attack killed one person and injured others hours later in the seaside town of Cambrils.
Police said three vans were rented using the credit card of Abouyaaquoub - the van used in the Las Ramblas carnage, another found in the north-eastern town of Ripoll, where all the main attack suspects lived, and a third found in Vic, on the road between the two.
AP said police believe the cell wanted to load the vans with explosives for a big attack, but their plans changed after the house blew up.
According to the news agency, a Spanish police official said those behind the attacks had stored more than 100 gas tanks and explosive ingredients at the house in Alcanar.
The investigation is also focusing on a missing imam who police believe could have died in that house explosion.
An interior minister said five members of the cell were shot dead, four are in custody and as many as two were killed in the explosion.
Some 34 nationalities were among those wounded in Las Ramblas and in Cambrils.
Victims of the attack in Barcelona have been identified as British/Australian, Italian, Portuguese, Belgian, Spanish, Spanish/Argentine, Canadian and American.
The victim of the second assault in Cambrils - bringing the death toll to 14 - was identified as a Spanish woman.
The attacks took place around eight hours apart on Thursday afternoon and in the early hours of Friday.