‘I knew something was going to happen to him’ - Student admits he feared for homeless man murdered in Maidstone woodland
PUBLISHED: 11:26 15 May 2017 | UPDATED: 11:26 15 May 2017
Marc Walker, 30, has set up a JustGiving page to raise £2,000 for the funeral of Razvan Sirbu
A university student claims he “knew something was going to happen” to a homeless man bludgeoned to death in Maidstone woodland earlier this month.
Marc Walker, 30, has set up a page to raise funds for the funeral of Razvan Sirbu, a 21-year-old Romanian, who was found dead on Sunday, May 7 in the Loose Valley Conservation area in Tovil at 7.15am.
Police have so far arrested four teenagers, including one as young as 14. as part of a murder investigation into his death.
Mr Walker, who studies computer science in Brighton, admitted to Kent News he feared for the life of Mr Sirbu, who was living in a cardboard hut in the woodland for a number of weeks, was in danger.
“I didn’t know him personally but I live in the neighbourhood and saw where he was located a few times,” said Mr Walker, of Woodbridge Drive.
“We have a few troubled neigbourhoods nearby and youth come and around and steal things or damage houses but we’ve never seen anything like this.
“It’s a massive shock locally that’s got everybody talking in the streets.
“But I knew something was going to happen to him, I feared someone was going to attack him because he was just sitting there.
“Someone had a realy problem with him even though he never harmed anybody.”
The JustGiving page has so far raised £600 but Mr Walker hopes to smash £2,000 in order to cover funeral costs and provide financial support for Mr Sirbu’s family.
The victim’s mother said in a statement: “My only son Razvan was full of mercy and empathy; he would always want to help others in need.
“Razvan was very shy and very good. Razvan was very well behaved and listened to people intently. He had a lot of love from me and my wider family.
“Razvan was my only child, so he was spoilt by the whole family. He was also the only grandson to my parents.”
All four teenagers currently remain in police custody.