December 22 2014 Latest news:
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Follows banning order by French court stopping re-publication of topless images
Church leaders have condemned the “severe invasion of privacy” of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge amid the topless photo furore.
It follows a banning order issued by a French court stopping the re-publication of the pictures of Kate Middleton after they ran in French magazine Closer last week.
The topless images were taken while the duchess was sunbathing on a private holiday with her husband Prince William at a château belonging to the Queen’s nephew Lord Linley in Provence earlier this month.
Rev Giles Walter, from St John’s Church in Royal Tunbridge Wells, called it “sad”.
“It’s really very sad though not surprising that the paparazzi behaved like this, but what is much sadder to my mind is that so many people want to look at these photos,” he said.
Lawyers for William and Kate, who married last year, sought a privacy injunction against the publishers of Closer magazine, Mondadori, to prevent the photos being distributed in France.
Magistrates ruled the publishers must hand over the original pictures or face a daily fine of £8,000.
Thanet priest and President of the St Nicholas Society UK, Canon Jim Rosenthal, condemned the “severe invasion of privacy” of the couple.
During a sermon at a wedding, he asked for a pardon for the use of the word “hell”, but said he hoped Prince William would “give them hell”.
“Many in the congregation nodded agreement to my words. Enough is enough,” he said.
“The Royal Wedding is still having a good effect on weddings. Churches I know are having many couples coming for marriage as a result of the “good media” that wedding gave us.”